Tuesday, April 25, 2023

STC v.4 - Cracow's Smog Brigade pairings and game vs Necrons

With 2 solid wins, we are paired with Cracow's Smog Brigade - one of the strongest teams at the tournament, which went undefeated for all 5 rounds, but failed to score high enough to reach the pedestal. Our estimations table appears to have a dominant red color now:
 

I do not actually remember the course of the pairing process, should make notes in the future for deeper analysis! According to our expectations, we got 1 good pairing, 1 bad pairing, and 3 draw pairings.







Estimation pts sum = 49, team result = 49 pts:) But, actually, the numbers are not any close to the expectations table :)


Tyranids vs Necrons

I've ended up playing vs Necrons. I had the worst pts estimation with this list rather than other Necrons and I do really like the list. You can check it here:

https://tourneykeeper.net/Shared/ShowArmy.aspx?id=72581


I opted to go with obsec monsters in this game and took Engage, Warp ritual, and No prisoners as secondaries.

Syraf took two necrons secondaries (good that we play a 5 marker game with only 3 in no man's land!) and Engage. Good choice combined with the army list's design, especially for the 4 and 5 no man's land objectives missions!


Deployment. The most exciting part of this game. Syraf gave me a master class on Necron's deployment with bikes on the second floor on both flanks, Ophidian's on the floor on both flanks, and shooty destroyers hidden behind ruins as well. All the rest are in transports/reserves (2 Night scythes, Hexmark, 1 heavy destr, both warriors squads, flayed ones, and melee destroyers).

I've sent pyrovores in tyrannocyte to deepstrike and hid everything behind the ruins, nothing interesting here.


I got the first turn and this is a lot vs a reserve-heavy army!


Turn 1

I advance forward and get points on Warp Ritual turn 1.

On the left flank, I unleash all buffs on hormies, advance 6", and fail an 8" charge with a reroll for ophidians (it was extremely important, cause I could both kill ophidians and lock bikers in combat).

On the right flank, I risk dropping a tyrannocyte and bringing down a full ophidians squad and 1 destroyer.


Necrons


Necrons move bikes and the last ophidians from the ruins.


Bikes killed me a few gants with shooting and ophidians killed more with a charge but failed to kill a whole buffed unit. Nevertheless, they take control over 2 side objectives and make action on the rightmost one.

Destroyers kill me 5 pyrovores and that's all.


Turn 2

I turn on an Imperative for Invulnerable saves and spawn back a few gants killed by shooting, reducing the necessary charge distance for the second blob of gants. They receive all buffs and wipe a 3-bike unit hiding in the ruin, consolidating onto the opponent's objective.

On the left flank Carnifex takes down 3 bikes and get control of the leftmost objective, while on the right flank pyrovore, tyrannocyte and carnifex do exactly the same, effectively reducing the number of bikes to zero.

Ophidians are stomped to the battlemat with magic and a tyrant's charge. By the way, I get a second Warp ritual done.

Necrons start turn 2 with zero points for primary, so it's time for reserves! As I have effectively blocked the deepstrike within 9 inches on the table, we had a short conversation with a judge to find out that it is still possible to place a Nigh Scythe within 1 inch of a players battlefield edge, wholly within deployment zone and less than 9 inches from enemy models. As so, from one Night scythe disembarks only Hexmark in the very corner on the left, while the second comes within 4 inches of my hormagaunts and a 20-man warriors unit disembarks right in their faces.

Destroyers manage to bring down the full zoanthrope squad with a single salvo and charge my tyrannocyte, jumping onto the rightmost objective.

Hexmark and a Scythe kill my backfield hormies unit right away, while the 20-man warriors unit rolls low with shooting on buffed gants, killing just half of the brood. As a result, they have to charge in order to get their home objective back, losing a few warriors in a return from hormagaunts attacks.

Turn 3

One tyrant heads for heavy destroyers in the opponent's deployment, while the second tyrant heads for normal destroyers supported by a carnifex.

No luck with shooting and I bring down only 1 scythe in the center. I also fail to kill destroyers, leaving 1 heavy destroyer and 3 normal ones alive. Hormagauts reduce the warrior's population, but not much, so I cannot deny the control of necron's home objective this turn. Good that tyrannocyte is a 5-model obsec unit, so I deny the rightmost objective after close combat failure.



Necrons turn 3

New warriors blob disembark from a scythe and head for the leftmost objective with the Hexmark.

As one Scythe is still alive, melee destroyers are able to deepstrike within 1 inch of a carnifex on my home objective. One heavy destroyer and 1 normal are resurrected and normal ones are teleported closer to my deployment.

Heavy destroyers fail to kill my shardgullet tyrant. Heavy destroyers kill my tyrant guards, so I have no control over the central objective now.

In melee, necrons completely fail, as scorpechs strip only 6 wounds from my carnifex, losing 1 scorpech in return. Flayed ones also left 1 hormagaunt alive on their home objective, failing to finish the squad.

Turn 4

I switch on Imperative for a charge after fallback.

Shardgullet kills heavy destroyers. Other shooting kills all but 2 scorpech's. Combined tyrant+carnifex charge finishes normal destroyers, while other two carnifexes clean up my home objective from scorpechs and leftmost objective from Hexmark.

The last pyrovore and tyrannocyte manage to kill all the flayed ones with shooting and tyrant with respawned gants slash at the warriors, cleaning the necron's home objective.

We call the game at this point, cause only 1 warrior unit, two characters, and a Scythe left.


The final score is 19-1 in favor of Tyranids.

Two low rolls made it possible - once with warriors failed to bring down a hormagaunt squad and second with scorpech's failing to kill a Carnifex.


It was an exciting game with a lot of "big brain" moves from both sides and the movement phase being the most important:)




No comments:

Post a Comment